Being TOTALLY ADHD with a Capital H, I had a very roller coaster life and career of STARTING everything and finishing NOTHING…
Now, as an expert in helping entrepreneurs and business owners turn their Passion into successful, PROFITABLE businesses, I’m a certified Business Coach and ADHD Coach, and even built a 6 figure business in my first full year and multiple 6 figures businesses thereafter… oh, and published 2 books.
I’m still totally ADHD -and- even though I might seem a bit unorganized at times and ALL over the place, the TRUTH IS that I get MORE DONE in one day than most people do in a week!
Here’s are the 10 signs to see if you are a PROCRASTINATOR and the #1 thing I do personally to get so much done!
(straight from Procrastinators Anonymous) Compulsive procrastinators may not have all the signs listed here, but if you identify with many of these characteristics, you are probably a compulsive procrastinator.
1. We keep disappointing other people and ourselves by not keeping our promises.
2. Difficulty getting started on new projects or transitioning from one project to another.
3. Poor Sense of Time – USUALLY LATE – chronically underestimating or overestimating how long a task will take us to complete.
4. Difficulty organizing projects by breaking them down into steps; we don’t know where to start, even when we’re willing to start.
5. Surrounded by clutter and disorganization in our homes and work spaces.
6. We are regularly late for appointments.
7. We are acutely aware of what we should be doing, or think we should be doing, and oddly out of touch with what we actually want and need.
8. Trouble saying “NO” to requests from others, and instead express our resentment through the passive resistance of procrastination.
9. Demand Resistance, (do what?) We do anything and everything except the one thing we most need to do.
10. Short-term thinkers, focusing on short-term pleasure while ignoring long-term well-being. (if you don’t have a written daily plan or even a business/marketing strategy, you might be a PROCRASTINATOR)
OMG, after reading this list, that was/is SOOOOO ME!
But I have figured out the SECRET to tricking myself every single day.
While there are a lot of things that go into having a successful business, IMPLEMENTATION is the one biggest one you need to have.
Without, VISION, IMPACT, Marketing Strategies & Tactics and Systems in place, it could get a little messy but if you don’t take ACTION on what you need to do, it will NEVER happen.
The IMPLEMENTATION piece is where most people fall short.
So what is my SECRET WEAPON? Or the weapon against my procrastinating nature…?
The answer is: TIME BLOCKING!
Yes, Time Blocking! This is my very tight-leash I put on myself. Even my man knows to put the time we want to spend time together INTO my calendar.
If it’s NOT in my calendar, then it doesn’t happen, period….
WHY? Because I’m so tough on myself? Absolutely Not…
If I don’t put it in my calendar, I will FORGET everything, maybe even my name so time blocking keeps me on track with everything including:
• what I was doing,
• what I need to do,
• what’s next
• where I need to be,
• what time I need to leave,
• who I need to call and even simply,
• how to plan my life
TIME BLOCKING – simplified
Color Coding –
Some people may think putting EVERYTHING in your calendar can be visually overwhelming, so I make sure I COLOR CODE my activities.
Also, when cash flow seems to be “slow” or I something seems to be going the wrong direction, I can easily look at the overall picture and see “by the COLOR” where I was spending most of my time.
The answer to my problems usually shows itself very quickly in the colors.
Here are the colors I personally use but I suggest you use what makes sense to your brain-style and your life.
- GREEN – a potential or current CLIENT or JV (anything that may contribute to being an income producing activity)
- BLUE – IN PERSON… Since I do a lot of my work on the phone or online, I needed a way to differentiate an “IN PERSON” appointment. This way, I know if SPANX or mascara is going to be required…ahead of time and I’m not rushing around trying to find the two
- PURPLE – anything personal from a doctors appointment to attending a party to my DATE NIGHT (and yes, I block out date night)
- AQUA BLUE – anything requiring me to travel away from home/office. Typically AQUA BLUE references the beach or ocean or a VACATION but since I made sure that I work the majority of my trips around my business. So, whether I’m going to Hawaii for 2 weeks for vacation (which I’m sure to book a speaking engagement or something business related when I go.) or I’m traveling to my mastermind in St. Pete or speaking in Texas, it’s ALL AQUA BLUE. I love to travel, meet new people and see new things, so this category gets my favorite color.
- CORAL – this is an appointment where I’m getting COACHED or TRAINED or am working on business operations. Its my own business development or personal development. My call with Dustin Matthews or Dave VanHoose (my business and speaking coaches) is CORAL and my PLANNING TIME allocated SOLELY for the development of my business is all CORAL. For me to do my blog, I have to block out the time to work on it – OR – IT DOESN’T GET DONE… As I’m writing this, I’m in a CORAL block…
- RED! – this means DO NOT FORGET, DO NOT CHANGE, SOOOOO IMPORTANT….. whether it’s my one day event “Speak Sell Serve Live” which is blocked out of my calendar, my private masterminds I’m doing with my clients or personal commitment like the Training Committee with Junior League of Boca Raton, this is RED in my calendar, so I know that it’s NOT flexible, not negotiable and MUST ATTEND.
- YELLOW – is tentative. These are things that I would LIKE to do. They show up as “open” and not marked as “busy” until I make it so. I actually keep a separate calendar in Google with all of the ongoing networking events locally and in the towns we want to expand our presence, and when I see availability for me to attend, I BOOK IT. My team knows that these are things we would “like to” do but if a client has an urgent need or we have a potential client to work with, they can OVERWRITE this area. It’s all about PRIORITIZING.
- GRAY – this is my gray area. I block out my “get ready” time and my driving time to get to appointments so I don’t get caught the ADHD’ers most common trait of doing “just one last thing” and end up late again.
I add pop-up reminders and alarms for important things, so I don’t lose track of time and for the most part.
Also, everything is usually blocked out in 1-hour increments.
I also add “labels” in my appointments like “SS” for Strategy Session or “CC” for Current Client so if I need to do a “SEARCH”, all of my history can be pulled up at a moments notice.
Having the information on your history, your future, and your productivity is HUGE and will be the key thing to adding $$$$ to your bottom line.
You CAN be an IMPLEMENTER!
This all may or may not make complete sense to you, so I suggest you analyze how your brain works and create systems that work for you.
First, there is NO SYSTEM IN THE WORLD that works for EVERYONE!
Also, It takes 21 days of CONSISTENT use to form a habit so you can’t do it for a week and then say “it didn’t work.”
By the way, before my son left to college, we blocked out every Monday from 3:30 to 5 pm and it was HIS TIME. If he wanted me to go to the grocery store with him or just sit outside and talk, it didn’t matter. It was his time, and everything else was OUT of that moment.
He ultimately chose it to work on his topics for his TV show and brainstorm ideas for his business, school, etc. (which, of course, is my gift) but it didn’t matter. If he chose to bake cookies together, then that’s what we would do.
IMPLEMENT and BE IN THE MOMENT!
The bottom line is that you have to live life IN THE MOMENT you are in. You can’t be IN one moment, yet thinking about another. It’s not fair to YOU, your clients or the people you love. (I’ve theoretically known this but Sharon Wacks imprinted this in my head several years ago)
With that being said, your brain does NOT have the capacity to PARK all that information all at once, to draw from, at any given notice. So STOP trying to make it work that way and then beat yourself up for forgetting things and not getting things done.
If you find yourself NOT reaching your goals in your business and any of these things resonate with you, I’d like to offer you a GIFT of a “CATAPULT Your Cash Flow” Session with one of my Master IMPLEMENTATION Coach-sultants.
CLICK HERE TO SCHEDULE YOUR FREE GIFT TODAY!
or call 561-320-1517