Have you ever heard from a fellow entrepreneur (or even yourself) “but I posted it on Facebook and no one called me” or “I tweeted and no one bought anything” or “I spent hours creating an event on Facebook and Google plus, and NO ONE came to my event”… “I just can’t do this!…..”. I hear this all the time when I meet potential clients.
So, I’m not sure where in this world of ours when the day changed where people started thinking that social media was the answer to our prayers and was now the new secret weapon to grow our businesses into huge gold mines.
When did spending hours online building business facebook pages and crafting the perfect quote for today REPLACE true marketing, branding, partnering, developing relationships, closing sales and providing on-going, exceptional customer service?
This misconception DRIVES ME NUTS and it’s one of the number one reasons why I see business owners NOT making the money they deserve!
I see so many potential clients who come to me who are spending countless hours trying to implement social media and are convinced that their ”lack of knowledge in this” is the reason why their business isn’t achieving the levels they truly desire.
NEWS BREAK! You do NOT make money with Social Media!
So how do you make money? Simple…
…By doing business with people who KNOW, LIKE and TRUST YOU…
“Well, that sounds great Shelley but how do I do that?”
I’m here to tell you that I made all of these same mistakes too. I busted my butt myself for months, and weeks and hours setting up (or trying to) the perfect social media platforms, finding all the great magical statuses to post and friending everyone from Mafia Wars (does the game even exist anymore?). I’m also here to tell you that I wasted A LOT OF TIME doing that and was really exhausted.
It wasn’t until I started building relationships with people, touching them and listening to them to discover what they needed (not what I thought they needed) did I start truly growing my business.
What’s all the hype about Social Media then?
Well, Social Media IS Amazing… It’s a great tool to help you touch someone even better IF you use it correctly. It can also help you accomplish some wonderful things but
FIRST, you must understand that there are 4 keys to Social Media Success. They are:
- Finding Interested People
- Delivering Quality Content
- Capturing Information
- Keeping In Touch! (yes, this means follow up – human to human, one on one)
Social Media is simply a tool to help you BUILD those relationships to find interested people, deliver quality content, capture information and Keep in touch. This process is how someone grows to KNOW, LIKE and TRUST YOU…
By using Social Media as this powerful tool, it can:
- Give you CREDIBILITY
- Increase REFERRALS
- Develop new RELATIONSHIPS
- Get higher prices for your products and services
- Give you VISIBILITY
- Develop FAMILIARITY
- Develop TRUST
- Then, gives you the ability to OFFER your products and services
- Perceive you as the EXPERT
Remember, GROUP messages are great for “breast cancer awareness month status reports,” general announcements and for posting groups/events/forums to gather others for a common purpose.
In order to be truly effective in building relationships with Social Media, you must:
- be CONSISTENT
- always post with the mindset of ENGAGEMENT of others (ask people to LIKE if they agree, incorporate a link to your site OR include photos with your info on it) Hint: when someone engages such as make a comment or likes something, it now shows up in their newsfeed for their friends to see…which increases your “reach”
- always reach out ONE ON ONE with a personal message/chat (I usually hit MAYBE on events just so I can keep track but it’s not until someone CALLS ME on the phone or sends me a message that they’d like for me to come and are following up is when my interest is really peaked)
- be INTERACTIVE with others and their posts and successes. (like, encourage and let your peeps know you are paying attention to them) It’s like being out at happy hour, having casual conversation but with an intention… to build relationships.
- Oh, it’s also super important to SUPPORT OTHERS. When a fellow business owner is posting something valuable to them, please LIKE or even SHARE it with others. Giving to others will always create more space in your world for you to RECEIVE greatness into your own life.
In hopes these tips will assist you in creating your Social Media Plan, I hope you also enjoy reading them.
- Are Your tired of SPINNING YOUR WHEELS only to be EXHAUSTED at the end of the day?
- Are you still trying to find the RIGHT COMBINATION of MARKETING to ACTUALLY GET you PAYING CLIENTS?
- Do you feel like that you sometimes just NEED A BUTT KICKIN’ in your business to STAY FOCUSED and get you in motion to reaching your goals?
It’s TIME TO FOCUS – really FOCUS on your business and what is IMPORTANT!