STOP WHINING and START WINNING! 8 Steps to GET what you REALLY, REALLY WANT in your BUSINESS – Shelley Mitchell, CPM, CAPS, CAM, HCCP, COS, MORS
While working with one of my clients this morning, I was so proud of her for the huge leaps and bounds she has made in just a few short weeks. She had gone from being STUCK, STRESSED and OVERWHELMED, not being able to see the trees through the forest and not even coming close to what she knew in her gutt she should be accomplishing in her daily life and reaching her long term goals to NOW being OPTIMISTIC, energetic, positive about what she had already accomplished and what she could see in her future to come. Yes, she hits bumps in the road but she keeps on going… This is my FAVORITE kind of person I enjoy working with the most!
So what made all of that happen? It wasn’t ME, as much as I’d like to take credit for it. It wasn’t a magic pill, it wasn’t a windfall of money, a more supportive spouse, better behaved children, losing 10 lbs, paying off her debt or even finding more time in the day. We all tell stories to ourselves from time to time that if only I had “___blah, blah, blah___”, I could accomplish “__(insert wish here)___”. If only I had more time, if only I had my spouses support, if only I had more money, if only I could lose some weight, if only __(insert excuse here)___. When we stop whining and telling stories to ourselves, which are excuses disguised as blah-blah-blah, then we can free up our mind for the great things that are in store for us.
So again, what brought her to the very awesome place she is today in just a few short weeks and is now on her way to making her dreams come true? It was the 8 steps I’ve outlined below. She got CLEAR on what she wanted, we created a PLAN with some simple action steps, and then most importantly, she got INTO ACTION and is willing to do whatever it takes to get it done, despite the obstacles and roadblocks that got in the way. Note: Obstacles and challenges will ALWAYS come but if we are mentally prepared for them, we can get through them much more quickly and easily.
Mary Kay Cosmetics is on the companies I’ve always admired because they put God first, Family Second and Career third. They also teach and stand by being ethical, having integrity and living in the mindset of abundance and working from the creative mind, not the competitive one. I discuss this because much of what I learned about these basics came from them and then grew over the years with my other businesses, career, training, education and some pretty amazing people I’ve been able to meet along the way.
So, finally, what made this happen for her and anyone we know who was intentionally successful? See below as it really is simple. It’s still hard work but you can do ANYTHING you want if you have the steps to get what you REALLY, REALLY want!
1. Create A Mission. Develop a sense of purpose. There are two pains in life: the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Which one will you choose?
2. Set Goals. Stop the whining that says “It’s impossible.” “I can’t …” “It’s too much work.” “But we’ve never done it that way …” or “that will never work…”
3. Set Stretch Goals. And reward yourself on initial results and successes, even the little things. Understand that improvement is a process. There are no quick fixes, no instant gratification. Keep your perspective and stamp out negativism.
4. Write Down Your Goals. Don’t just think them – WRITE THEM DOWN. Make your goals ‘smart’ – specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and trackable.
5. Become Unstoppable. Have an unstoppable desire to win. Be enthusiastic. Ask yourself, “How badly do I want it? Am I willing to make the necessary sacrifices of hard work and study?” Don’t be surprised by negative thoughts and feelings. As they come up, give yourself a break. Don’t be too tough on yourself. You WILL hit a bump in the road, you WILL come up against a LION…